About Me

My photo
Catholic. Photographer. Writer. Producer. Videographer. Editor. Spanish speaker. Passionate about travel, culture and giving you a platform to tell your life story. Firm believer that peppermint dark chocolate and autumn hikes can make any day amazing!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Full Circle


I now find myself on the receiving end of a program I was once volunteering with in the states. This morning I was eating breakfast when one of the other missionaries showed me the latest food donation we had received. In my hands I held an air tight bag filled with rice, soy, vegetables and flavoring labeled “Manna Pack” from the group “Feed My Starving Children”. While I have not been super involved with their organization I have had the opportunity to assist with packaging the meals at least a handful of times. I was blessed to have a representative on our morning show once as well, and I know my church back home is still regularly involved with volunteering. I’ve always walked away feeling that I’d helped improve someone’s life a little knowing that they’d have at least one more meal guaranteed. It was a bit strange, but exciting at the same time to see the work of volunteers from my own backyard now appear in front of me here in Honduras. I have a bit of a hard time accepting that we, especially the missionaries but even the kids, are on the receiving end of this donation. I imagine there are many more places around the world in an even greater need than us. We are very blessed to have many wonderful donors of food and money. I am always impressed when our kids during prayer offer up intentions for the poor. That said though I am incredibly grateful for every volunteer who put in each scoop with love back home in Minnesota. I hope every volunteer there will know of my appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment