About Me

My photo
Catholic. Photographer. Writer. Producer. Videographer. Editor. Spanish speaker. Passionate about travel, culture and giving you a platform to tell your life story. Firm believer that peppermint dark chocolate and autumn hikes can make any day amazing!

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Culture Shock 101


It’s the small things that are already hitting home about coming home.

Wood-Floors
Rugs
Microwaves (ok… we don’t have on but the sisters do)
Being asked if I want “it cooled down” (a.k.a. central air).
**One thing I’d truly not thought of… HOT Water in the tap. I was momentarily confused. Granted I was still half asleep and mildly jet-lagged.
Commercials for pet food
Ads for 99 cent soft drinks… that’s 20 Lempiras (Honduran money). I can buy a 3 liter of coke for about 36 Lempiras.
Back to school ads... Not because kids (in the states) don’t go back until after Labor day (meanwhile our kids are in school Feb. to Oct.) but because every one of our “school supplies” come from donations.


Turning on the TV. Watching Good Morning America. It’s ironic too that I am in Chicago for a few days during a “record heat wave” so much that it headlined GMA. How hot you ask… low 90’s.  Not just that, but it could be for “multiple days”. Yep that’s hot! Yep, I’m pretty certain a single day doesn’t pass (during the non-rainy season) at the Farm that we don’t at least have a heat index in the 90’s. I guess I’ll feel right at home ;) Oooo another update, “Thousands could be without water (in Maryland) for days”, according to GMA. Alright, that’s rough! However, when was the last time that happened? We lose water at least a few times per week for at least a few hours at a time. I can’t tell you how many people that effects. In some ways it may be fewer because fewer probably have running water to start with and well, a river doesn’t just lose water.

As for the rest of my vacation (i'm now halfway through) things are great. I finally got to meet my brother's fiance, catch up with family and friends including a handful of whom are expecting new babies in the coming months. I've had my fill of coffee houses and reconnecting with whats happening in the world. The coffee is good the news not so much. The first couple days were an adjustment, but I can see how easily it is to be re-swept up into the fast pace of life. It will be great to return to a more "relaxed" pace. Not necessarily a less stressful pace, but just slower. 

Here's something to ponder. Since being home I have been more "connected" to the outside world and the daily goings on, but it's easy to see how disconnected the world is here. I know many of you would agree technology has it benefits and drawbacks, but for me it is much easier to see now that being so "connected" really makes us incredibly disconnected to what is going on right in front of us. My advice... don't be afraid to turn your phone, computer, television etc. off and actually make eye contact with someone. If that's too much of a leap use a stepping stone and actually have a conversation on the phone instead of texting. That reminds me of a song we learned while translating for the medical brigade it went something like this: 

Doctors (missionaries, the people, the church, insert your own noun) have a telephone to talk to God. That telephone doesn't have a number. That telephone is prayer.

Therefore don't forget the "easiest" conversation you can start your day with is simply saying, "Good Morning Lord, let's make it a great day!" 


No comments:

Post a Comment