About Me

My photo
Catholic. Photographer. Writer. Producer. Videographer. Editor. Spanish speaker. Passionate about travel, culture and giving you a platform to tell your life story. Firm believer that peppermint dark chocolate and autumn hikes can make any day amazing!

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Freedom to be....

Today is the 4th of July and that of course means we as Americans are all taking time (or should be) to stop and appreciate our freedoms and those who have given their lives to protect those freedoms along with those who continue to serve our nation. That said I don't know that I yet fully appreciate or understand what it means to be free. When you are born into privilege and freedom like we have here I really question whether we can fully grasp what it means to be free unless we experience first hand the oppression of no freedoms.

I know some of you will read this and say we are already losing our freedoms in America. While I wouldn't necessarily disagree I think we can all aggree we are very blessed to live where we do. I think about the fact that this year is an election year and a big one at that. Just the fact that we have the right to vote and make our voices heard is beyond what much of the world can claim. Even though I will be living abroad during the elections our government (at least in Minnesota) makes it pretty easy to still cast my vote.

Beyond freedom though is hope. The handful of people I've already met from Honduras all seem to agree that hope is the one thing that is non-existant in their home country. While we as missionaries may not be able to provide many of the freedoms we enjoy here in America I am confident we can and will provide hope.

All in all I am thankful for all those on all levels working to daily defend our God given freedoms. I am thankful that I have the freedom to leave America for the next 29 months and serve those in need of a little hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment