About Me

My photo
Catholic. Photographer. Writer. Producer. Videographer. Editor. Spanish speaker. Passionate about travel, culture and giving you a platform to tell your life story. Firm believer that peppermint dark chocolate and autumn hikes can make any day amazing!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Clinic Translating 101


I knew for over a week that the day was coming when I’d enthusiastically volunteered to join my teammates as a Spanish translator for patients at a local clinic. Most sane people would have realized that after only 3 weeks of learning a language this may not have been the best volunteer opportunity. Frankly I didn’t care. I was going to put up any sort of façade as if I knew more than I did. I would do what I could and it would be an amazing experience. I was right!
It’s now been about a week and a half since assisting at the clinic so I’ll do my best to recount my experience. We met the volunteer doctors from Texas Friday morning at a hotel and drove up into a nearby mountain village to the Santa Maria de Jesus clinic. It became clear that some of them spoke just as much if not more Spanish than I did. Thankfully Kiddissa and Laura had already helped out earlier that week. Plus it was the last day for the U.S. doctors the clinic was only scheduled for a half day.
My first thought was how difficult it might be for some of these patients to not only have to talk about personal problems to a doctor they don’t know, but then also to someone else who’s not even a doctor. While that could have been the case for some it quickly realized most of the patients were just overjoyed to have someone helping them. 
We got to the clinic and there was already a short line of patients waiting outside. I initially was put in an exam room with one of the doctors. I later learned he was the one I’d been told to avoid working with since he was the least patient. After a couple minutes Kiddissa shuffled some of us so that someone else could translate for him. I instead got assigned to the waiting room. It became my job to find out why each patient was there, what their pain or illness was, how long it’d been going on, severity, symptoms etc. This was a much better match being able to ask questions one on one. I didn’t fully know what to expect as far as what illnesses I’d encounter. Most of what I saw that morning though were things that are often quickly and easily treated over the counter in the U.S. often times without ever going to a doctor. It made me grateful for and helped me realize how great an education I’d received in school and everyday life.

To put things in perspective:
A Dad brought in his three kids (a girl approx. age 9, two boys approx. ages 6 & 4) because they had toothaches. I don’t know how bad the kids’ teeth were, but it makes me glad that I was taught from a young age the importance of brushing and also had access to a toothbrush, paste and clean water. Despite having teeth likely rotting from their heads those three kids had the best smiles and definitely put one on my face. I introduced myself and immediately the older boy very enthusiastically repeated my name as if it was the best thing he had ever heard in his young life.
It was also discovered that the children’s father was complaining of a headache. That lead to the discovery that he was in desperate need of glasses. In the clinic is just a basic eye chart and at 20 feet he could barely make out the top number. He was just about as blind as I am, but never had glasses. I can only imagine how life changing the moment will be when he does finally receive the glasses.
We also saw our fair share of common illnesses and infections. A couple ladies had skin rashes, a few cases of urinary tract infections, and a couple patients with diabetes related concerns. Two patients stick out though when talking about infections though. The first was a man probably in his 50s or 60s with a bad eye infection. His lower lid was droopy and bright red. He told me it’s been going on for 2 months and now the pain was radiating to the side of his face and even down into his shoulder. The second patient was a 3 year old girl. Her mother told me she had stomach pain, diarrhea, wasn’t eating much but was still drinking water and juice. It was pretty apparent that she still had lots of energy too. It came to light that the little girl had eaten dirt a few days before and now likely had a parasite. So even though it’s been said a little dirt never hurt I will have to disagree. One of the nurses told me it is actually pretty common for the kids there to eat dirt after it rains to get more nutrients.
Speaking of being desperate for nutrition earlier in the week (I was not there) a lady came in who was severely ma-nourished. Kiddissa was in the room translating for her. I turns out her husband had passed away a year or two before so in order to feed her 6 kids she was only eating bread. The doctors were able to give her packets of what’s called peanut paste. It’s packed full of nutrients and is meant for treating malnourished patients. It’s just devastating to think of being in such a destitute situation.
On a more uplifting almost comical note is a patient who was most definitely a first time mom. The young woman came into the waiting room with her tiny one month old sound asleep swaddled to her chest in a traditional brightly colored woven fabric. I asked her what was wrong with baby. She began speaking quite quickly for a bit, but I wasn’t picking up on most of what she was saying. Not only is my Spanish poor, but some of the indigenous Mayans also speak local languages which are much different.
I was able to understand that she said the baby wasn’t sleeping at night. My first thought was… she’s a month old that’s pretty typical. However, I asked several questions like does she have a fever, a cough, earache, diarrhea, is she eating regularly. Every symptom I could think of the answer was no, she’s only not sleeping at night. The doctor came in, but I told him I think the baby is perfectly healthy. He did a well baby check and consulted with the mom. It was concluded that the baby was healthy and the mom just needed to not let the baby sleep all day long.
In the end, I may not have been the best translator nor had the most medical knowledge, but it was a wonderful experience. My hope is that we helped make the patients’ lives a little better even if it is just helping a new mom get a few hours of shut eye each night. 

Hasta luego mis amigos!

~Katherine

1 comment:

  1. Kit, you are in your element. Thank you for sharing your stories!!

    ReplyDelete