About Me

My photo
Catholic. Photographer. Writer. Producer. Videographer. Editor. Spanish speaker. Passionate about travel, culture and giving you a platform to tell your life story. Firm believer that peppermint dark chocolate and autumn hikes can make any day amazing!

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 1: Arrival

We all arrived safe and sound. I have met one of my teammates, Kiddissa. We were both picked up at the airport by a rep from the school. We're told that Laura and Kevin arrived earlier and were picked up. I think we all meet at La Union (the language school) just before 8 tomorrow morning. Laura and I are both doing 6 hours of class a day. The others are doing 4 and our final teammate Emily will come down in 2 weeks since she already speaks Spanish.
I'm currently sitting in my room at my host mother's house. I am quickly realizing just how far of a language gap I will have to try to bridge. My house mother (Delia) is very sweet though and seems eager to help me learn. I am able to pick up on a few key words and phrases, but I think more of the problem is me trying to speak back.
If I understood her correctly there are two other gals staying here. I have yet to meet them, but hopefully at dinner. Which I'm not sure when that will be, but the dinning room is right outside my bedroom so I should hear. Although I'm tired enough that I may just sleep through.
The home is small but beautiful. Everything is stone, tile or stucco due to the humid climate. The weather is actually quite comfy right now. All the rooms are off of a small open courtyard which allows for good air circulation. The question though is how good the air is. I think it's likely much better here in Antigua, but the pollution in Guatemala City would make anyone sick.
So far I've explained in very poor Spanish that I have an older and younger sibling and their ages. Whether I properly explained that my siblings are an older sister and younger brother is another question. I believe I explained how old my parents are. I think I failed to tell her any names. I also mentioned that I previously studied German for multiple years. Maybe this will help give her some perspective as to where I'm coming from. I think more than once I've switched into speaking German already... this could be an on going theme.

Delia like a majority of Guatemalans is Catholic. I gather this from the many icons and wall hangings she has. I think one of the churches may be right out our front door, but again this was a bit of a language barrier. She seems eager to know more about The Farm and the work we will be doing as missionaries. I just wish I could find the words. I'll get there! Un poco y poco :)

2 comments:

  1. You will catch on to the language more quickly than you think. You'll be surprised how well you do when you are immersed in it. Thank you for your first day notes. We look forward to more. Geri Mages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told Kiddissa this too but I thought I would pass it on to you as well. Learning a language is hard and often overwhelming. I remember last summer when I was in language school in Spain there were days when I swore that I never wanted to hear or speak a word of Spanish ever again but there were other days when I wanted to speak Spanish and only Spanish for the rest of my life. I'm sure you'll be having plenty of those days the next couple of weeks and I just wanted to pass on a word of encouragement to you and everyone else down there already. You are all in my thoughts and prayers and I can't wait to join you!!!

    ReplyDelete