About Me

My photo
Catholic. Photographer. Writer. Producer. Videographer. Editor. Spanish speaker. Passionate about travel, culture and giving you a platform to tell your life story. Firm believer that peppermint dark chocolate and autumn hikes can make any day amazing!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Flight Change, Delay and a Marathon Sprint


I began this entry on my flight back home for my sister's wedding last Wednesday:

I'm waiting to board my plane back to the states for my sister's wedding. The good news is I will now actually get in earlier than expected, but this news came only after a bit of a mix up. I got to the check in machine and it could not locate me on the flight. I also had trouble when trying to check in online, but figured it was an issue with the website. After 2 failed attempts it printed out a card telling me to go to the desk for assistance. In Spanish I was able to tell the lady at the counter that I had a problem and showed her the card that printed out. I gave her my passport and record locator code which I just happened to have written down. She couldn't find me on the flight either. She then rattled off a ton of information in Spanish and the only word I caught was “tomorrow”. Thankfully her english was much better than my Spanish so she told me that my flight had been switched and left at 7:00 a.m. I had missed it! She said American Airlines had sent an email. I however never got that vital email. She said the flight was full and that's why I was switched. She then told me the next flight was tomorrow. This would not be the end of the world but considering I have only 6 quetzales (the equivalent of less than a dollar) a bank card that has been blocked, had no where to stay and speak virtually no Spanish it was enough to make me a little panicked. I asked if there were any other flights to any other US city today. Turning to Saint Christopher all I could ask is please get this sorted for me. A few minutes later she had me on the same flight connecting in Miami then directly to Minneapolis that night. Originally I was supposed to be going Miami to Chicago with a layover and getting into Minnesota the next morning. The downside is I don't get to catch up with my awesome college roommate in Chicago tonight, but in the large scheme it's all good. That said I am now about to board my flight. Saint Christopher please get us all to our destinations with no further issues.

Here's hoping any of your future travels are easy!

~Katherine

Flight Update: Not so fast :( I spoke too soon!

It's been a series of minor or near setbacks today. Which in the moment is a bit stressful, but in the large scheme it could all be a lot worse. That said, I got aboard my flight in Guatemala City and we were delayed for about an hour due to a storm. This wouldn't typically be a big concern for me, but it was already going to be tight catching my connection to Minneapolis. The wheels hit the tarmac with just over 30 minutes to go before my next flight would be loading. 

I am not typically pushy, but the moment the seat belt sign turned off my bags were out of the overhead bin. It took ages (or so it seemed) for the front of the plane to clear out. The moment the wheels of my suitcase hit the ground I was off at what felt like a marathon pace moving as fast as one can go with a large backpack and suitcase in tow. The slalom course of other passengers took a slight toll on getting into the record books.

Then came the escalator... at that instant I flashed back to England where people actually understand the proper use of an escalator. For those who don't know... If you are simply riding up or down please stand to the right and leave the left for those who are hoping to break the sound barrier. In a split second I dropped any hope of using the escalator and opted for the stairs. Let's just say I was quite relieved in that moment to have packed relatively light.

So now having climbed Mt. Everest (or so it felt considering just the day before I'd been quite sick with some sort of stomach bug that left me exhausted after even standing up) I continued my awkward sprint to what I figured would be baggage claim and then on to customs. This was to be my chance to make it past the hoards of people coming into the country from every known direction possible. I hadn't checked luggage for precisely this reason... well sort of and I just didn't need to. However, luck or really just logic was not on my side. 

Customs came before baggage claim meaning there was no running past the mobs of people staring numbingly at the rotating belt in hopes of their luggage showing up. My only option was to be that line jumper that so many people despise, but a wonderful few graciously embraced. The line went for another football field past the roped off maze. 

I now drenched in sweat and quite possibly returning to a feverish state breathlessly told a lady nearest the start of the rope maze that my flight was boarding in 15 minutes. I don't think I even fully asked if I could go in front of her before she said yes. It's people like that who make the world a better place!

I got up to the customs agent and handed him my form. It was the wrong form! I just about lost hope of catching my flight at that point. I had to go back through the crowds refill out the correct form. Thankfully he told me to come straight back to him and I could cut in front of anyone waiting. That didn't go over so well with one guy. As the agent saw me running back he waved me ahead and the guy at the front of the line starting yelling at me to stop. Ignoring him I went straight to the agent who smiled and chuckling said, “You are going to start a riot.” I was too winded to respond but in my head said, “So long as I make my flight.”

Finished with that check point I dug deep for what little energy and adrenaline I had left and at warp speed headed for the exit/connecting flights area. This meant barreling past crowds more tightly packed and high strung than the Mall of America on the day after Thanksgiving. Thankfully, I had not checked any bags. T minus 5 minutes to boarding...I spot the exit! Deep breath....I might just make it! 

With blinders on I race with my suitcase in behind like a plow making it's way through a rocky field of zombie travelers. Now just feet from the exit/connections I'm brought to an sudden halt. I realize the sea of zombie travelers were all patiently waiting in lines for yet another passport check! I say to the guy next to me at the front of the line that I'm sorry but my flight is boarding in less than 5 minutes. Before he could even say anything the security agent says very sternly that I need to return to the end of the line and ask each person if it's okay to go ahead.

REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?! I just about collapse right there from sheer exhaustion and probably a bit of wanting to throw a temper tantrum or just start sobbing. Instead though I suck it up, and in a split second come to terms with spending the night in the Miami airport. However, within the same split second before my mind even comprehends what my mouth is saying I cry out in frustration (loud enough to surprise myself), “Does anyone care?!” As I begin walking to the back of the waiting mass I hear two ladies call me over and tell me to go in front of them. That was enough to make me choke back a couple exhausted tears.

Now clear of checkpoint number two it's back to an all out sprint. By this time my flight is beginning to board. Now at security checkpoint number 3 I peel off my shoes while still in line. I'm sure those around me loved the smell. Thinking back I probably smelled only slightly better than I looked and far better than I felt, but I was too exhausted and too determined to get home to care. In near world record speed I got my carry-ons unpacked, through security, repacked and shoes back on, but only after having gone through a body scanner that made me want to ask Scotty to beam me to my gate.

Now ready for the final sprint I realize I still don't know which gate I need to be at. Standing in front of the massive screens of cities, gates and times it made me wish I'd taken that speed reading course. I spot Minneapolis... now boarding. I turn to see where I am and hope that my gate just happens to be right there. 

Who am I kidding? After having hiked Mt. Everest, sprinted the length of the Great Wall and plowed through fields of travelers the size of Russia I knew fate was not on my side. I turn and make a final sprint for my gate Home Alone style. I can't recall just how far it was, but definitely near the end of the line. All that mattered is I got the gate and there was still a line of travelers waiting to board the plane.

Now standing in line guaranteed to be home in a matter of hours I had just enough time to call home for the first time in 3 weeks. Between fits of feverish asthmatic coughs I tell my mom I'd made the flight and would be home that night. I squeezed my backpack and luggage into the impossibly small overhead bin and collapsed in my seat. It didn't matter how cramped that seat was because it had my name on it and it meant I was going to make it home that night.  

Thanks for reading my novel ;)

~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment